Tuesday, December 29, 2009

12/29/09 from Megan

"They've got cool bugs here, man." That would be Tannen's interpretation. Mine is "Ack, spiders! Ack! Get them off me! I'm gonna die!"

We also have a rather fantastic lizard keeping us company. Jami, Tannen, and I are staying with Pastor Chibesa and his wife, Fena, somewhere on the outskirts of Dar Es Salaam. Chibesa is Zambian, but has been living here since 2008, assisting Bishop Gervase Masanja, whose church we'll be borrowing for the next two days for our seminar.

We all arrived successfully, with only some of us delayed, and sans Tannen's bag (but who really needs clean underwear anyway?). While we were luggage hunting in the Nairobi airport, apparently Jami, Matt, and Reuben were here traipsing around on the beach, which they tell us is very close by. Hopefully we'll get a chance to check out the Indian Ocean before we have to depart. (And yes Mom, if this gets posted before Friday, we have train tickets, and no, I'm not going to run around by myself and get mugged.)

Okay, so I just took a shower. I don't want to give the impression that I'm ungrateful, because Chibesa and Fena are opening their home to us, which is seriously awesome, but I wouldn't want you to miss out on the opportunity to laugh at me. So the shower is essentially a bucket full of hot water that you pour over your head as you stand over the toilet which is a ceramic-lined hole in the floor. In short: do not drop the soap. Also, this would be an excellent time to shave my head. And most of all, I cannot BELIEVE how much water I waste taking a normal shower. I'm astounded by how little I can get by with even with the obnoxiously long hair.

Now it's back to revising my outlines for our seminar, because we're compressing a 4 day seminar designed for Muf to fit into 2 days, and we're adapting for translators. So far, my Swahili only extends to "Jambo!" (how are you?), "Habari" (hello), and "rafiki" (friend - why yes, I did learn that from the Lion King). We'll see how much more we can pick up in the next 48 hours.

Love to all,
Megan

No comments: