Monday, January 4, 2010

1/4/10 from Jami

Our early morning started around 6:30am. After fighting with my mosquito net for the vast majority of the night, the morning came too soon! Note to all, duct tape doesn't really stick to anything when it's hot and humid. I will describe our first day at the STS training seminar here in Mufuliria, Zambia as wonderful with a hint of frustration. Six of the STS Facilitators were present for the training today as well as former students from STS clubs. Some logistics such as food, snacks, transport, lodging, quality of accommodations, water and don't forget talk time have been requested throughout the day, hence most of our frustrations. The training session in contrast have been nothing short of awesome. All the discussions, learning, participation, attentiveness from everyone is refreshing and lends itself to the hope that there really is change being made in the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS. During my discussion with my group on Attitudes in the Classroom, I have them act out difficult scenarios and they are to role play to work on dealing with difficult conflict. One exercise required that two boys be talking and are being disruptive to the class. The one teaching realizes this and has to deal with it accordingly. The ones participating in this exercise acted so perfectly that I thought they were reading my notes from my working notebook. Johnny had arrived back from holiday and visited us at the Church Planting School. Once the day was complete we fit six people into a taxi and drove to 158 Jomo Kenyta! There we were greeted by Shadi and family as well as the smell of wonderfully good home cooked food. Reuben is the designated cook on this travel trip. It's nice to have someone in the house who actually "likes" to cook and does a great job. There were nightly indabas, my mosquito net was diligently fixed by Mr. Porter who's become the STS rope tying expert. Matt also brought a flashlight that has a red laser pointer combination. Therefore, it became a means of entertainment for the evening. The children at the house "loved" chasing it as it was moved across the ground. I've never heard Elizabeth (Shade's little girl) laugh so much. It was fun to watch them chase the laser around, play and have fun.

It's raining, for the very first time, on me here in Zambia! It's amazing. I've been coming here for many years and have barely seen a cloud in the sky. Now I've experienced what it's like here in the rainy season. At various times throughout the afternoon it pours rain. I've started to keep track of the times to see if I can see a pattern. My station in the training seminar is located outside, at the Church Plant School, under an awning. This location isn't very good if it starts to pour rain. A good rule of thumb is to make sure all your supplies are in bags, if traveling during the rainy season!

All-in-all it was a wonderful day and it's nice to be back home in Zambia! We're all looking for what's to come during this week's seminar.

Thanks,
Jami

No comments: