Thursday, December 9, 2010

Update from Tessa

The Enfys women’s workshop was to start at 9:30 a.m., you can already guess we didn't start at that time but of course, God knows it was better. At 10:00 we gathered and sang while we waited on others to show up. We were in the main school (Grace’s Place) room which is ½ the size of a college dorm room. Their voices roared against the concrete walls as they praised God in Bemba. I became overwhelmed with God’s presence and again humbled that it is me who will be standing and sitting before these women to teach them. I who have no children, I who have never been married, I who have never been physically or sexually abused, I who live in comfortable conditions and I who have many more rights culturally as a woman. At the time I couldn't distinguish what was happening with my feelings. I just knew I couldn't hold back my tears. I think the above is what it was about. In reflection I believe I was also thinking about the women at the prison (where I work in the states) as well and the number of women/children the Lord has entrusted to me over years. When I began speaking, I began crying. I prayed for them and Beauty, an interpreter, was quiet I realized after she wept with me.

I noticed that the women were very focused on their children and how to better their futures. It was important for them to communicate their desire for support concerning business opportunities, basic and spiritual needs being met. They seemed burdened by the idea of not being able to care adequately for their children. They communicated feelings of failure and being distracted from their relationship with God because of their everyday problems. Enfys women were also open about their involvement with God and His love. They expressed His love for them and that everything is done by His grace. It seemed their answer for hard times and weakness in faith is to kneel, pray, repent, seek God’s face and ask for power. Tannen and Megan’s time seemed to be fruitful not only for information but punctuating they are not alone. The second half of the workshop was more teaching and less discussion. Fana (missionary from Tanzania who is originally from Mufulira) talked with them about caring for their infants. Although I couldn’t understand everything she said, what I did catch seemed very valuable. It was evident God used the workshop today by connecting with their basic needs, emotional information and spiritual edification.

Next, I helped Tannen and Megan interview teens who are in the Earn It Program. This program provided an opportunity for older teenagers to work jobs to earn money for their education: high school and college. Fana helped me with translation and Tannen and Megan fend for themselves with the students. Although I only interview 3 teens, it was cool to see how this program is affecting their lives through education, occupational skills and interaction with Martinz (Manager of Earn It Program). Tannen shared on the taxi ride home from Murundu her excitement with what she saw in the kids and the progress the program seems to be encouraging.

Tonight with 4 of us crammed in the back of a taxi (Tannen, Megan, Fana, and myself... the taxi being a compact car) in the rain and dark, riding through massive pot holes on a mud road and Fana playing Tanzania music from her cell phone is just difficult to describe, but everyone should try it. :)

2 comments:

april hatten said...

Praise God for the GREAT things He is doing for His kingdom and the women and children at the Enfy workshop!

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless as I imagine all of this in my head while reading =) I cannot wait to converse with you instead of reading ;) Thanks for taking the time to do this. You are loved and prayed for!