Thursday, May 22, 2008

Update from John (aka, "the peace corp guy")

Hello everyone, today’s blog is brought to you by Johnny Payne, a new person you have not yet heard of but who is very excited to be a part of the STS-HIVHope program in Mufulira this week and is going to be working to bring it to Botswana. My name is Johnny Payne and I am a Peace Corps Volunteer working in Letlhakane, Botswana. The story of how I came to be involved in this week’s activities in Mufulira is a little complicated, but the short version is that God is working in Africa and has decided to include me in it. Working as a Peace Corps Volunteer means that I am definitely not a missionary but I do have opportunities to work with the faith-based organizations involved with HIV/AIDS in Botswana. Originally, I expected my role this week to be an observer, in order to learn lessons from HIVHope and STS staff on motivational methods for HIV prevention and to share some lessons from my work with a district AIDS coordinator in Botswana. I have been truly blessed and excited to have the opportunity to join STS in visits to Pamodzi Girls’ School. Apart from that, the spiritual encouragement and fellowship have been more than I could have hoped for.

Today was a break-through day both in the Agape Church’s morning seminar and our Abstinence session at Pamodzi. The participants at Agape were once again confronted with a host of questions through which Duane asked them to analyze the role of the church in dealing with abstinence, sexual behavior, condoms, stigma, and other issues which they will face in their efforts as HIV prevention motivators. A couple of questions which challenged participants the most were how to address sex in a church setting but in a culturally appropriate manner and how to relate to church members who are living with HIV/AIDS. Having lived in Botswana for over 1 year now I can tell you that this is a big issue in many cultures and countries in Southern Africa and it must be addressed head on if we are to seize the opportunity that we have to show the world who Jesus is through our response to HIV/AIDS. While most churches in America have learned to stay relevant to the culture by addressing current issues, African Christianity has taken another course in its evolution. Churches in Africa either face the problem of retaining cultural aspects which conflict with the Bible or else they become so far removed from the culture that they cease to be relevant to the people they are trying to reach. HIV/AIDS, with its complex social and ethical dimensions, has only exacerbated this trend. The participants have shown us this week a truly admirable passion both for their churches and for the lost people of their nation. God will use them in a powerful way as they learn more and put it into practice.

The talks given by Austin and Casey at Pamodzi today were life-altering for many of the girls lucky enough to fit in the small classroom that we were crammed into since the hall was being painted. Austin’s message brought many insights for the girls, who I am sure have not and will not hear many 20-year virgins as they grow up in their culture. Austin’s speaking ability, which was clearly supernaturally assisted if you ask me, allowed the girls to comprehend him as they would one of their own and I believe many of them will remember his example as they choose to testify to their school, family and friends in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. Casey’s message which focused on the ability of God to heal pain and restore his children spiritually also seemed to have received some extra unseen power. She spoke with courage, conviction, and compassion in a way that touched the girls deeply. Many girls probably believed God was speaking directly to them through her as many came forward at the end to ask for prayer, and Casey told me that one approached her asking to receive Christ as her Savior, something I don’t think Casey was expecting to result from her talk. I also received a surprise as my small group ballooned from 10 to about 25 girls who I was able to talk with about sex, abstinence, dating, and marriage. I really enjoy the give-and-take with this age group, and in fact, I am doing a similar program with young people in Botswana through a program called GLOW, Girls and Guys Leading Our World. All the things that have happened this week have been so inspiring and we are just getting started! I am sad to have to return to Botswana on Sunday but I wish the STS group the best as they continue on in Zambia and I think you can expect to hear more about me as plans to bring STS to Botswana will be developing before too long.

John Payne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I praise the Lord for the work He is doing through each of the team members!!!It is so awesome that He brought John and Victor to Zambia. Let's be praying for the team members by name as they share their hearts with the people of this nation. There is a spiritual battle going on!