Thursday, June 7, 2007

6/7 Update from Megan - HIV Education Program

Hey all, it's Megan. As one of the resident STS engineers, I haven't blogged much, since we are not generally known for our textual finesse. But since I'm departing tomorrow, I've been honored with this grand opportunity to communicate with you all. So here goes. I'm leaving a day earlier than everyone else and staying overnight in Johannesburg with a friend of a friend of Dr T's. Because this is Africa, I was informed this morning by Dr T that I will be speaking to a group of South African women on Saturday morning - never miss an opportunity to recruit for the cause (though sleeping in would have been nice!). After that announcement, Carol, Abbie, and I headed over to the recording studio where Medrin (sp?) has been singing her heart out to create a CD for us. I never thought I would visit my first recording studio in Zambia. Wacky. It's out in the refurbished servant quarters behind a very nice house about 10 minutes from Dr T's. Zambia is such a strange mix of the old (crumbling roads and dilapidated buildings) and new (cell phones everywhere - though they're sold from streetside shacks). So why not a recording studio too?

We had a delicious lunch at the church planting school again today. It's funny, but after less than two weeks, I have stopped paying attention to the peeling paint and cracked walls, and can just appreciate the fact that I'm in the shade and enjoying delightful company.

The HIV team was back in Kitwe this afternoon for Dan's talk about Getting Tested and George followed with a talk about Abstinence. George's ability to keep the attention of a bunch of wild kids never ceases to amaze me. I'm glad we were able to visit both Murundu and Kitwe these two weeks that I've been here, because they are such a contrast. In Murundu, we had to have a translator for everything, but you felt like you were bringing information that the kids had genuinely never heard before. You're in a little village out on the border of the Congo, and your presence really is an event. In Kitwe, there is so much more affluence (if you can call it that) and they have a much better grasp of English. There is much more of an urban feel and the kids seem more savvy. One girl was actually willing to share her story about getting tested for HIV in my small group on Tuesday. I can't imagine any of the girls in Murundu being brave enough to face the stigma and share her story even if any of them had been tested before. The girls in Kitwe seem much more empowered.

I'm so grateful for this experience, especially for Dr T (regardless of whatever those crazy Irish people have to say), and for Oscar and Henry (our fantastic Zambian church planting team members). Even though things often go awry, and never happen like we plan them, there are a lot of people here who really do want to change the course of Zambia for the better. I have loved working with everyone here and have great hopes for the future.

Peace,
Megan

No comments: