Friday, May 25, 2007

5/25 Update from Tannen - Trauma Program

Here goes for the trauma team again...Wednesday was our last day at Pamodzi High School. We had poetry and skit contests with the theme "Victory Over Trauma", and both contests went really great. Here is the winning poem:

*****

Anger, hate, jealousy occupied my thoughts day in and day out. I'd kill just for fun because of the love I never had.

I'd cause destruction, sickness and love to trespass in other people's dreams and I never cried not even a tear. Prostitution was my middle name, witchcraft was my first and murderer was my last.

I've never seen the sun cause it always rained on me, I slept in fear everyday and misery surrounded me.

When I lost my mother that's when I felt my heart break and the pieces were on my throat but never cried.

He talked to me and I knelt down and began to cry. I cried because of the joy I felt deep inside now I know.

If it is raining more than ever I can stand under his umbrella and we will stick together 'til the end.

*****

The skits were good...they were well thought out and we were happy to see a lot of what we had talked about integrated into them. Jeremy said a few parting words after the contests and we dismissed everyone for the last time. They broke into song for us before anyone had time to get up, and that was really touching. We took some time afterwards to hug and say goodbye to the girls that we've gotten close to over the past week and a half (some of whom we knew from last year). As always, each of the girls wanted pictures with us. Then we were off.

Friday a few of us had a meeting in Murundu regarding the orphanage. Kristen and I stayed afterwards and played soccer, sang songs, and hung out with some of the village kids -- lots of fun. We took public transport home, which is always an adventure.

In the evening, Dan, Elizabeth, Stef, Jill and I had a meeting with some of the church planting students who are serious about doing long-term STS work. I'm excited about our future plans, and about the awesome team of people that we have who are committed to doing the work that it will take to get us there.

Today my dad and Holly flew out, and Jami flew in on the plane that they flew out on. Tomorrow Stef and Jill leave, but we'll gain Abbie, Megan and George. So session 1 is winding down and Session 2 is winding up.

Tannen

No comments: