Wednesday, May 30, 2007

5/30 Update from Elizabeth - VBS Team

Hi, everyone! I thought I would take a minute to write much more in depth about the VBS project that we are doing in Murundu village with the orphans there. The other blog I wrote was a bit rushed and written WAY too early in the morning for it to truly convey what I'm feeling about this project. Allow me to elaborate, please....

Jess, Abbie and I are really enjoying this new project. Today, I was struck by the feeling of going back to Bible times - smelling food cooked over open fires, seeing children running through the streets half-dressed, all the while walking with Pastor Joseph down a very dusty road - and realizing the heartbeat of God as a child unnoticeably walked quietly beside me and then slipped a tiny, dirty hand into mine. How much more does our Father in heaven love us and long for us to trust Him enough to slip our tiny, torn hearts and lives into His capable hands?

Every time I walk into that village, my heart is tugged and pulled. Pastor Joseph shared some things with me that made it all real. I mentioned earlier that we are singing, dancing, playing games, doing crafts and teaching Bible stories to the orphans this entire week in a make-shift VBS. While we were showing the children relay races and watching them tear down the one dusty road with HUGE grins on their faces, Pastor Joseph came up to me and thanked me for allowing the children to run. He said that for many that was probably the very first time in their lives that they were encouraged to run as fast as they could - for the simple reason of having fun. Shocking, huh? In a village where it is commonly thought that 75% of the population is probably HIV+, exercise is vital for maintaining good health for as long as possible. How simple to just teach these children to run, and yet I know it is critical that they play these types of games long after we leave the village.

We also have had a blast teaching them Bible stories. We are using some fun puppets to help tell the stories, as well as encouraging the children to get involved. Yesterday, I told the story of Noah and the ark. It's amazing how simple these familiar stories must become as they are being translated to children who cannot fathom that much water (Pastor Joseph has been a life-saver!). We had the children participate and they imitated various animals walking into the ark. They laughed and laughed and really got into their parts... monkeys, elephants, lions, etc. Try to envision 50-70 orphans crowded under the shade of a single smallish tree, hanging on every word that we shared, large brown eyes sparkling at the idea of all the animals of the world in one single boat. Can you see it? Pastor Joseph told us that most of these children had never heard that story, as churches do not have the resources to design children-specific programs. He does a tremendous job - feeding, clothing and ministering to these orphans as he is able! Daily, Pastor Joseph, Abbie, Jess and I simply cannot keep silly, sloppy smiles from covering our own faces when we see their little eyes light up with joy! :)

I've got to sign off for the night, but please continue to pray for the Murundu village orphans and the work that Pastor Joseph and his family have already begun. It has been an amazing opportunity for us to reach out and touch the "real Africa" with the compassionate love of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to have had a chance to spend every day being the hands and feet of Christ in such a real and tangible way. Please continue to pray for all the different projects and teams! We are all a bit sun-burned and weary from long days in the quite-hot African "winter" sun! :)

Love in Jesus,
Elizabeth

No comments: