Tuesday, May 29, 2007

5/29 Update from George - HIV Education Program

Hello to all,

This is George, a.k.a. Georgina (long story about me, a guy, having to dress up as a girl in a skit and the kids loved it so much that Georgina had to make a return appearance!), and one of the new team members that flew in the past weekend. But you haven't come to this blog site to hear all about me, so here goes some news about the team.

WOW, we just had a really great worship and testimony session. As we returned this evening, we were greeted by two of the girls cooking grilled cheese sandwiches. They were a big hit. Then we followed that with a bit of worship music. It started a bit slow and then it just started happening. The Spirit enter the room and peace came at the same time. By the time we got to "Here I am to Worship", I had chills. Then we went around the room to share testimonies and it was nothing short of moving and amazing.

Today at Murundu Basic School: Well, we were at the Basic School in Murundu again today. Today was the last of Jami's talk on Transmission of AIDS which was followed by Dan bringing a great message about Truth and the reasons why the students should get tested (this was all for the morning session!). The afternoon session was started with Dan's talk and then followed up with a message about Abstinence and Sex, as it relates to biblical truth, by Henry (a Zambian church planting student) and myself. The most powerful moment for me was during Henry's testimony. I sat and watched the student's faces. They had the look that said, "I'm connecting with you." I just know that some of them were encouraged and inspired.

Of course we did have a few bumps along the road, but overall, today was really great. Our team is working very well together, praying for each other, and helping out wherever is needed.

Now let me share one personal story before I leave. I arrived on Saturday and was told, within my first hour of being in Zambia, that I would be preaching the next morning. Talk about on the spot! :) As I sat in the Kitwe church worship service, singing and dancing (they dance a lot), it hit me. I hate this overwhelming feeling of "these people really know how to worship. Who am I to bring God's message to them? They are such a beautiful people." I felt so unworthy. Of course, I brought the message and it was received really well. (God can work miracles even when you don't feel worthy.) The point I want to get across, however, is this. These people are truly a beautiful people. They are worthy of our prayers. They are worthy of the small help we can give to them and I am even worthy of them. A few of the Zambians have taught me so much about love, about caring and about so much more.

Peace,
George

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow! It sounds like an awesome day. I wish that I was still there to share in it.