Tuesday, May 29, 2007

5/29 Update from Carol - Trauma Program

Hey y'all,

It's Carol reporting live from Zambia! Woot woot! Today the Trauma team went into Kitwe to the all girls Chibote High School. We had some technical difficulties at first with the black amps in the hot sun, then decided to just raise our voices... not yell because you know we're not bringing the heat just yet! We started out with some songs and WHOA DANG can this Zambian girl Meydren sing! God has definitely blessed her!!! After that we had the doctors skit, which just so you all know... PJ (Pastor Jeremy Swanson) did an impression of explosive diarrhea that would make his Swanson kids proud... ESPECIALLY Israel! HECK YES MAN! And how it went was... I went in for an annual physical checkup, and every time someone sat down next to me I caught whatever they had. First it was coughing, then fiercely itching, then EXPLOSIVE POO, then Tannen walked in acting like she was pregnato, and I realized what was going on and I flipped out and ran "off stage" exit stage left!

Then Kristen started giving a brief overview of Trauma, and I put on this sweater thing, and was the "Hairy scary monster" and I kept trying to get Kristen's attention. It went on for a while like this: OH EH AHA HA AH AH OH EH OH UH OHUH OHUH OHUH (various monkey calls), rolling around on the ground yelling randomly, making funny noises, just to try and get Kristen's attention. She never looked til Tannen came running up yelling at her for not acknowledging (I think that's the wrong spelling... whatever DUDE!) the hairy scary sweaty... haha monster. Finally she recognizes it, and the point is that Trauma is the hairy scary stuff that no one wants to talk about or deal with.

These kids... AMAZING! This place, God's land... I think Tannen and I decided today that someday we're going to go live in a mud hut in the bush for a month or two... YEP that's right folks I said it. On the way home we got onto the people transporter, aka the bus, and about 17.3 miles away from Mufulira (rough estimate of course) it broke down. And these crazy munto's (Zambian's) were pulling out "spare parts". So I sat on the ground ate some nerds (I don't like candy, but had nothing to eat, and if you know me you know I am ALWAYS hungry!) And I very quietly left my mark on Africa. No I didn't pee you sickos, I just wrote my name and took a picture. So there I am sitting on the ground finished with my nerds staring at our non-working people transporter and wondering how we're going to get home.

WE HITCH HIKED! Parents, significant others, friends, family, and anyone who randomly cares... Zambia is a friendly country. Zambia is safe. There were no sketchy situations involved and we returned home safely to a new GEIZER! Installed by an old geizer... but don't tell Dr. Yodis I said that! ;) ;)

One thing I would like to mention that will make someone proud... A Zambian guy came up to me today and asked "How much are you?" I said "I am not for sale buddy!" He says "How much, women don't choose." I say "You can't afford me! :)" Then I shook my fist with an incredibly stern expression.

Okay, blogging out.

Sendamenapo (Goodnight!)...Even though it's only 1:30 in the afternoon for y'all.

P.S, How is living in the past? Get it, since y'all are 6 hours behind us!!!:)

2 comments:

Holly said...

hahaha! You're sooo popular, Carol! I'm glad that I missed the hitch-hiking. You all are nuts. It sounds like you're doing some amazing work though. I'm glad you seem to like the Trauma team so much. :-)

Anonymous said...

Carol I miss you and your fantastic sense of humor! I'm so surprised the van broke down; did the shoelace holding the shock up break or something? ;D Hope you and the other invalids are feeling better. :D