Tuesday, July 14, 2009

7/14/09 from Jake

Hello from Zambia! This is my fourth day in Mufulira. I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay thus far! Today we visited the Chawama clinic to observe the healthcare system in the town. Although rather undersupplied, the nurses still manage to serve the healthcare needs of nine thousand people. I spent the morning with a retired anesthetist, who serves as the local doctor, observing how patients were assessed and medication was prescribed. Later that afternoon, we sat in on family planning sessions, as a nurse administered birth control to help local women better plan for their next child. Overall, it was a very interesting and educational day learning about differences in care here in Zambia. A long walk back provided me a chance to take in the beautiful countryside and a meal of rice, onions, tomatoes, and tiny fried fish this evening should provide me ample energy for tomorrow's adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the tiny fried fish will hold you ha ha...What a blessing to have nurses who can manage given the circumstances. My prayers for all of you!! Love from Calif.