Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7/28/09 - Reuben's Agriculture Blog

The agriculture and construction projects continue to go well. Jake, Mike and Alden helped Joel build desks and tables for the clinic today at Dr. Thinus' house in Mufulira while I worked on Moringa at Joseph's house in Murundu. We will take the completed furniture to Joseph's house in the morning and once the doors are secured to the clinic, it can be moved there.

I was the only one going to Murundu this morning so I rode the mini bus from Mufulira to Murundu. This was my first time navigating Zambia on my own. The bus dropped me off in the center of Murundu and after a short walk in the wrong direction, I quickly found my way back on to the correct path and arrived at Joseph's house in short course. I was asked by several people on the bus and in the streets while I walked what I was doing/why I was here. I talked about both the HIV Ed in the schools and the agriculture work with people and they were very interested. I must stick out a bit here for some reason... j/k

Our planting bags are progressing steadily. We had our highest production day yet, 250 bags! That brings the total to 750. The shade house should be able to hold 1500 seedling at capacity. I expect to continue the planting bags for the rest of this week to fill as much of the shade house as possible before we all return to the USA. Joseph and company can of course finish filling the shade house after the STS USA team departs, but it would be a joy to see it full before leaving Zambia. The area for the intensive cultivation plot was tilled today and I have 1500 seeds soaking over night (approximately, I didn't count them all...). We have some minor bugs to work out with the sprinklers and sprayer hose and nozzle, but nothing that should be too difficult.

Take care wherever you may be.
Reuben

2 comments:

Tania said...

Hi Reuben, wow what a team --your production/progress is wonderful. Love to see any pictures of the site if someone heading to US can post w/better internet connections. My prayers for all those soaking seeds to grow and the sprayer hoses to work to give them the water they need.

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying God will enable the team to finish filling the shade house before you all leave! May your joy be complete....MB