Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7/28/09 from Heather

Muli Shani Everyone!

Let me start by saying Tannen and Megan are greatly missed, as is the rest of the VanZwieten clan (though I am very happy to have fewer people to fight with over the shower in the mornings). I hope everyone had an uneventful trip back and is enjoying the luxuries of home in America.

Today was a wonderful day here in Zambia! My group (Carrie, Dan, William, and I) traveled to Luansobe, just around the corner from where our sports camp was held the past two Saturdays. We each have a classroom of about 30 students, which is a bit more than we would like but it is working out quite well! I should also mention that the students are fluent in Bimba, which means they are not quite so fluent in English -- in fact only about 10 of my students can say a few words in English, and only about 4 can actually speak and understand English. My class is made up of Grade 7 pupils ranging in age from 13 through 17. It is the older children who have a much better grasp on the English language, but we still have some words that simply do not translate from English to Bimba. Today we discussed the basics of HIV because the majority of the students could not answer the quiz questions I presented yesterday. Also, my translator was the teacher, so I am not quite sure that we were on the same page. Today I had one of the STS translators, a pastor from Tanzania, Chibesa and he was wonderful to work with because he has our same vision in mind. Also, he can understand me, even when I speak quickly, which happens frequently.

We went to our second school today, Kalanga Basic School, and did not have as much luck because, for the second day in a row, the students are completing their exams. We were told yesterday to come back at 13:00 hours today because testing would be over, but the Civics exam was about to begin so we could not have the students.

Not being able to go to Kalanga worked out alright though because the construction team was very busy building furniture for the Murundu clinic, Grace's Place, at Dr. T's house. Joel, Jake and Alden were already busy working on the furniture when we pulled up in our taxi (thank you Alfred for being a very trustworthy driver for us!). William and Dan joined in, as did Mike who was just returning as well, and by the end of the evening three desks and one exam table were completed. All of the furniture looks great and is very sturdy should there be any "screaming and wriggling" children, in the words of Joel.

Jami, Matt, Liam, and Rebbecca were at Murundu for the first time today and they said that it went quite well. To quote Matt "there were a lot of kids and Liam played with balloons." In other news, Jami has lost her voice today and is having trouble talking over a whisper. We have tried to encourage her to not talk as much, but anyone who knows her knows that is not going to happen, nor will telling her to slow down and not work so hard. Please keep her in your prayers so that she will have a voice back tomorrow and the rest of the week to teach the students all she knows in 4 days. She said that it's hard enough getting them to understand English, much less when you cannot raise your voice above a whisper. Jami did not lose her voice until the end of class today, so hopefully there will not be any time without a voice. Matt and Reuben had gone into town to get bread where they also picked up a Fanta for her. The Fanta did not improve her voice, but it did boost her spirits.

On an unrelated STS point, I NEVER want a pet monkey! Liam brought the neighbor's monkey into Dr. T's house to show to everyone. I was happy just taking a photo of it, but then my curiosity got the best of me and I followed the monkey and the pet monkey (hahaha) outside. Liam sort of threw the monkey at me, which I didn't have to catch because he clung to me like a tree branch. I moved a tad too close to the door and the monkey was off my back faster than he had gotten on it and onto the door frame instead. I tried to comfort him and pull him off the door, and the next thing I knew he had bitten me! No blood was drawn, so no panic please, this is not the next Outbreak The Movie in progress. The monkey came over today and I stayed clear of the critter altogether.

Adventures in Zambia are sure to continue! Please do not forget our whole team in your prayers, especially as the traveling for everyone back to America will begin in a few days.

Heather

2 comments:

Tania said...

Funny comments on the Monkey business going on..glad you will stay clear of the critter in the future. I am praying for continued safety for everyone there and also in travel home.

Anonymous said...

Continue to love all the posts that keep us current of prayer needs! You will remain in our prayers, even as you travel back home. I have my own 4yo brand of monkey:) God's peace to you and yours ~ Mrs. B.